Hills of Tuscany Hills of Tuscany Hills of Tuscany Hills of Tuscany Hills of Tuscany Hills of Tuscany Hills of Tuscany Hills of Tuscany

Hills of Tuscany

The stage starts in Pietrasanta and ends in Viterbo. This stage is very popular by pilgrims as it crosses the beautiful Italian regions of Tuscany and Lazio, combining nature, art and history, and the effort of riding in a hilly territory will be rewarded

From Pietrasanta and its famous contemporary works of art to Campus Maior (original name noted down by Sigeric) - the Apuan Alps as scenery -  you will get to important Medieval towns of Tuscany, some of them are UNESCO sites as San Gimignano or the treasured city of Siena. Merchants, pilgrims, Popes’, emperors, soldiers’ travels have marked the histories of these towns. Moreover, the well-renowned and untouched landscape of Val d’Orcia is ideal for slow travellers. You will also cross beautiful villages like Acquapendente and Bolsena and cycle aside a suggestive lake of volcanic origin to get to Montefiascone and Viterbo, in an area of Etruscan origins, whose historic centres are unmissable. And Rome is very close.

  • San Gimignano: medieval village entirely preserved

    The medieval village of San Gimignano, located in Siena, Tuscany is famous for its medieval architecture. Often referred to as the Town of Fine Towers, San Gimignano is famous for its dozen of tower houses, which form an unforgettable skyline. Within the walls of this picturesque city, notable examples of Romanesque and Gothic architecture can be found. The town’s Historic Centre is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

  • Centre of Siena: Cathedral, Piazza del Campo

    Siena is one of Italy’s loveliest medieval cities and one of the country's most visited tourist destinations. The construction of Siena’s cathedral, a masterpiece of Italian Romanesque and Gothic architecture, started in the 12th century. In the heart of the city, the piazza “Il Campo” can be found. Il Campo is worldwide known for the Palio, a horse race run around the piazza, which takes place twice every summer.

  • Village of Altopascio: Medieval Magione

    Since the 13th Century, the Altopascio’s Hospital is a dominant presence: a first donation of lands in 1124 in the castle of Pozzo by the ancestors of Rosaiolo and Gangalandi counts in favor of the Hospital, was followed by other bequests and sales of the same family, and many other more modest owners of the area all over a century make the Magione of Altopascio one of the largest owners of the Valdarno area close to the boundaries of Lucca.

  • Acquapendente: Cathedral of Holy Sepulchre

    The Cathedral of San Sepolcro is the most significant monument in Acqupendente.The cathedral was constructed around the year 1000 over the votive chapel that Matilda of Westphalia ordered to be built with the same dimensions as Christ's sepulchre. Consecrated in 1149 and reconstructed several times, it was given the title of cathedral in 1649. Following damage during World War II, much of it was rebuilt based on the plans of Vincenzo Fasolo. Inside the cathedral is the noteworthy altarpiece in the right transept, a work in enamelled terracotta by Jacopo Beneventano (1522) portraying the Eternal Father worshipped by angels; the wooden choir (1685-1688) in the apse is attributed to artist Matteo Tedesco.

  • Certified EuroVelo Route
  • Developed route with EuroVelo signs
  • Developed route
  • Route under development
  • Route at the planning stage

The stages